GigaNet's Communication Committee enables remote participation in
most of its events and meetings. Through the gracious support of
the Cotelco Lab at
American University and Syracuse University
, we utilize a
webconferencing technology (Elluminate Live!
) to allow
remote participants to view, listen and interact with in-room
presenters and audience.
According to Elluminate (and our experience), Elluminate
- Completely cross platform. Whether Windows PC, Mac, Solaris, or
Linux workstation, people get the same user experience every
- Optimized for low bandwidth. All-bandwidth connectivity means
that users interact with no lag time or garbled communication,
regardless of Internet connection speed, even at 28.8.kbps.
- Designed to enable users with disabilities to fully
participate. Elluminate Live! features and functionality
facilitate accessibility for all participants, including those with
However, we are always interested in improving remote
participation, so please let us know about your experience!
Participating in a Webconference using Elluminate
To help you have a great experience we recommend pre-configuring
your computer prior to the session. Please allow 5-10 minutes for
the entire process. If you have previously installed and configured
the required software, proceed straight to step #3.
1. Before you install the required software:
- Ensure that your computer satisfies the minimum system requirements.
- Ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet. A
minimum 28.8 Kbps connection is needed.
- Ensure that you have a microphone, speakers or headset to take
full advantage of the audio capabilities during the session.
- Ensure that you have administrator privileges on your computer
and can install software. If you are unsure, please contact your
2. Installing the required software:
- Go to the support page and download the client.
- Follow the three steps outlined for "First Time Users" (Java
setup check, Complete your setup, Learn more) to install
3. Joining an Elluminate Live! session: Once you have
completed installing and configuring the required software, you can
join the event.
- On the day of the event, please go to the event's calendar listing or
program, where you will find a link(s) to attend the meeting
- Click on the link. Your browser will be redirected to a login
page. Enter your preferred user name for the session, and leave the
password field blank. Click the Enter button.
- The java based Elluminate Live! client will open and you
will enter the session. You should see your user name in the