A global network for scholars of internet governance
Membership in the GigaNet is open to individual researchers who have contributed to the scholarly literature on Internet governance. In general, members also would hold a PhD or other advanced degree and be affiliated with a university, research institution, or related organization. However, in reviewing membership applications, GigaNet will focus on overall scholarly profiles rather than strict conformity with these degree and affiliation criteria.
As of 2011 GigaNet also welcomes observers - active participants of the Internet Governance community, who wish to participate in the GigaNet intellectual exchange, but have no or little research experience. Observers will have the full access to all GigaNet activities, cannot however run in GigaNet elections.
If you have questions about joining GigaNet, please contact the Membership Committee chair, Joanna Kulesza (joannakulesza |at| gmail |dot| com).
To apply for membership or observer status simply fill out the application form.
GigaNet membership criteria:
1. GigaNet membership is open to individual researchers with a post-graduate degree, who have contributed to the scholarly peer-reviewed literature on Internet governance.
2. Alternatively, applicants for GigaNet membership must demonstrate documented scholarly involvement in the Internet Governance domain (including academic peer-reviewed publications on the subject, relevant academic conference presentations, etc.).
3. When applying for GigaNet membership researchers (including post graduate students) not yet in disposition of an advanced academic degree or a record of peer-reviewed publications are required to present a letter of recommendation from their research supervisor or a GigaNet Member.
4. Observer status may be awarded to non-academics, including undergraduate students, who demonstrate documented interest or experience in the Internet Governance domain (e.g. non-academic publications, numerous educational or disseminating activities).
5. Observers have full access to all GigaNet activities, may however not participate in GigaNet elections or run for GigaNet positions.
6. Observers may be accepted as members at a later stage, should they present to the MemCom documented research background or scholarly involvement, as referred to in pts. 1-3.
7. Applications must include the information requested in the application form, including contact information; incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Membership Committee may request additional information. Should it not be provided within a month from the request, the application shall be deemed incomplete. Since the working language of the community is English, applications in English are preferred.
8. Membership or the observer status is awarded by consensus of the Membership Committee members.
Please keep in mind that members of the Membership Committee work as volunteers so there is no fixed time for assessing applications. The Membership Committee will be sure to get back to you as soon as possible. If you need more information on the status of your application please contact Membership Committee Chair, Joanna Kulesza (joannakulesza |at| gmail |dot| com).