The overall governance and decision-making body of the GigaNet is the eight-person Steering Committee. The Steering Committee (SC) is comprised of four executive officers and the chairs of the four standing committees. All minutes and decisions of the Steering Committee shall be recorded and posted on the GigaNet site within two weeks of a meeting.
GigaNet has four executive officers: (1) Chair; (2) Vice-Chair; (3) Secretary; and (4) Treasurer. These officers constitute an Executive Committee (ExCom) that is responsible for coordinating the planning and execution of administrative tasks.
Briefly, the responsibilities of each of these officers are as follows:
GigaNet has four standing committees: (1) Membership; (2) Program; (3) Communication; and (4) Outreach and Partnerships. The chair of each committee serves on the Steering Committee.
Briefly, the responsibilities of each of these standing committees are as follows:
Participation in the standing committees is open to all GigaNet members. Ad hoc committees or other organizational structures can be created by the Steering Committee to address any issues that arise, and their time frame will be delimited upon creation.
Elections Process and Terms of Office
[Developed by the Steering Committee in July 2008, and sent to membership for review. Updated by the Steering Committee in December 2016]
1. The term of appointment of Steering Committee members is two years.
1.1. The election takes place in staggered form:
2. Any GigaNet member may nominate any other GigaNet member as a member of the Steering Committee. Prior to submitting a nomination, the nominating GigaNet member has to make sure that the nominated GigaNet member is willing to accept the nomination if elected. Self nominations are also welcomed.
3. [2016 update] All candidates need to be nominated, or self-nominate on the list. All nominations require one seconder only (no "plus one" messages on the list).
3.1. [2016 update] The above applies to any SC members who wish to stand again for office, or who are standing for another SC position.
3.2. [2016 update] Current SC members do not formally nominate or second any candidates
4. A GigaNet member may only be nominated for a single position/function.
5. [includes an update from 2016] The election process is done by electronic voting. The Vice-Chair and Secretary will act as Election Officer for the year in which either role is open for election. The Election Officer is charged with managing the election process and with providing a report to the membership following the election, ensuring transparency and accountability.
6. Election takes place on the basis of a relative majority of votes. In case of equal numbers of votes, the Communications Chair will randomly select a ballot, if no amicable settlement is reached otherwise.
7. It would be desirable if the members of the Steering Committee would reflect diversity including geographical origins, gender, and disciplines. Additionally, it is desirable that SC members do not remain in the same position for more than two terms.
8. In the case of a vacancy after an election has been held, the GigaNet Chair may appoint a GigaNet member to the open position, with confirmation by a majority of the SC and notification to the membership.